The Chibana Project

A blog where I post my research on a certain Okinawan named Chibana Choshin.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Okinawa e

Life as a graduate student is unkind, and updates unfortunately suffer as a result. The good news is that I'm headed to Okinawa in a couple days. I will be visiting Mrs. Chibana (presuming she's still in good health), and hopefully will be able to engage her in a conversation about Chibana. Akira Nakazato, Chibana's ato-tsugi, has a dojo that I will also visit. Hopefully, I will also get a chance to meet Shuguro Nakazato and Katsuya Miyahira, two of Chibana's senior students, granted these two are also in good health and actually in Okinawa when I arrive (as opposed to globetrotting and giving a seminar somewhere). I'll also be visiting a number of dojos. Wish me luck! Hopefully, I'll be able to get some really good information.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mathieu said...

I'm happy for your trip to Okinawa.

Say Hi to Fujiyama-san for me.

4:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck and enjoy!

I wish I was going with you...I hope to return someday.

All the best.

8:20 PM  
Blogger gijoe said...

Thanks for the support, and I really appreciate it. Even though I didn't get as much research done as I would have liked, I still saw a lot of good things and met a lot of cool people. Overall, it was a very good experience.

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home