The Chibana Project

A blog where I post my research on a certain Okinawan named Chibana Choshin.

Friday, January 27, 2006

God Bless Microfilm and Mr. Larry Kientz

I scoured the microfilm collection at my library and found these:



These are articles from Okinawa Times, 24 and 25 September 1957 entitled "Conversation" (or "An Interview With...", depending on how you translate "taidan"), featuring Shoshin Nagamine and...yep...Chosin Chibana. A translation of both articles is forthcoming.

Update: It appears that Mr. Patrick McCarthy beat me to it nearly 6 years ago, publishing a translation of these articles in Koryu Journal in the fourth quarter edition in 2000.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I’d like to thank you for finding it and posting it here! The first time I read about it was on the Matsubayashiryu website a few years back when I believe, Mr. Goodin maintained the website. I believe this is the first time the articles have been posted on a website. This was the reason I posted it on our forum, with the hope that someone had access to it. It’s my sincere hope that you would still consider translating and posting both articles here in the near future.

Again, keep up the great work!

Thank you,
Larry

PS – When you go back to your Library and have some time, look up Okinawa Times: July 1960, “Bushi Matsumura-no Karate Makimono” along with some other documents that were, I believe, published for the very first time.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Bujutsu Blogger said...

Most excellent. GIMME MORE!!!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Stephen Irwin said...

Fascinating stuff! Interesting to see how the art is treated and reported by the locals.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home